Thursday 19 July 2012

Italian Style Beef Stew with Gremolata, sautéed courgettes and home made Milk RollsTuesday 17th July 2012

I love gremolata, and this rich, tomato-ey beef stew is just an excuse to scatter it over the top with wild abandon..



A very simple shin of beef stew, made in a pressure cooker, with carrots, celery and onions and a can of tomatoes. I am a lazy cook sometimes, and I lazily thickened this with a sprinkling of one of Schwartz limited edition seasonings - properly speaking for Chicken and Chirozo bake - which both thickened and seasoned. I like Schwartz seasonings, I use their gravy mixes a lot (well I did until Sainsbury's stopped stocking them... very annoyed I am ) and find them less chemically flavoured than a lot. This proves that you don't have to use them in the way that the packet says, I wanted a European vibe in the stew, rather than a traditional English one, and this worked very well.

But the finishing touch, the gremolata is what lifts this into the sublime. Gremolata is very simple, chopped raw garlic, lemon zest and parsley, but the whole thing is a zingy dream.

And of course, home made milk rolls to soak up the juices.


with thanks to Schwartz for their kind samples of seasoning mixes


No comments:

Post a Comment