Tuesday 19 June 2012

Malloreddus Pasta with Raw Tomatoes, Roasted Peppers & Capricorn Goat's Cheese for #CapricornChallenge Monday 18th June 2012

I so enjoyed the penne pasta with raw tomatoes that I made with the lovely heritage tomatoes from Westlands Wow recently, that I decided to revisit it, with some tweaks and changes, to make a meal with the contents of my #CapricornChallenge hamper.

No pasta in the hamper, so I used some Sardinian Malloreddus pasta that I bought at Carluccio's Caffè recently, this is partially flavoured with saffron, and looks very pretty. (To be honest, it tastes remarkably like ordinary pasta, and I think I prefer the bronze die Lumaconi pasta  from Sainsbury's Taste the Difference range, but that shape doesn't work as well with this raw sauce.  They do a large penne in that range that I haven't tried yet, but that might work here.)

So working to the same basic recipe as last time, but with the following substitutions:

These were all from my hamper:


  • Waitrose tomatoes for Heritage tomatoes. Sorry Waitrose, the vine grown plum tomatoes are lovely, but I could taste the difference. I think I have been spoilt for ordinary tomatoes :( 
  • Roasted and peeled red peppers:  take the cores out of red peppers, quarter, mix in a bowl with a little olive oil, salt pepper and oregano, and roast for about 45-60 mins at Gas Mark 7 until the edges are nicely charred. Pop into a bowl and cover with cling film until they are cooler, then peel and slice)
  • Finely chopped red onion.
  • Walnut and pumpkin seed bread (that I made earlier in the week) now rather stale, but perfect for crumbing and frying until crisp and brown in olive oil.
  • Topped with some diced Capricorn Goat's Cheese


and from my fridge:

  • Some streaky bacon, about 4 rashers for the two of us, chopped and fried til brown before adding the breadcrumbs and frying til all nice and crispy.
  • No parsley today, but I did have half a bag of spinach, watercress and rocket salad. So I chopped that finely and used it as a herb. I was surprised how really good that was. 


Malloreddus Pasta with Raw Tomatoes, Roasted Peppers & Capricorn Goat's Cheese








No comments:

Post a Comment