Monday 20 February 2012

Borscht and Blini - Saturday Feb 18th 2012

It seemed such a good idea at the time. I had lots of beetroot in the fridge, and wanted something warming and filling.  So how about a delicious bowl of beetroot soup, a proper Borscht, made pretty much (which is unusual for me...) to Felicity Cloake's Perfect recipe from the Guardian.  With proper yeasted buckwheat blini, and soured cream, and chopped sausages.

It took a lot of time, and a lot of stained fingers, chopping boards, bits of julienned beetroot everywhere...

It looked beautiful.

Borscht with blini, soured cream and chopped sausages



My Beloved took a mouthful, turned to me and said...

"I've just remembered.  I don't like beetroot soup......."

Sigh. Just as well I do I suppose.

He ate the sausages and some blinis, and I ate the soup.

Still loads left the following day, so I used my wand blender on it, and made a smooth version.  Very nice indeed, and I would certainly recommend leaving the soup to mature for a day, as it was much more flavoursome on day two.

Smooth Beetroot Soup with buttered blini



No comments:

Post a Comment