Sunday 22 September 2013

Dexter Beef Brisket with red cabbage - Sept 22nd 2013

I've been giving the pressure cooker a real outing this week, nearly every meal has been cooked in it, and tonight's was no exception. A nice little piece of Dexter beef brisket from the farmer's market took my eye, and I pot roasted it in the pressure cooker with carrots, onions and celery, with Essential Cuisine beef stock and a good slug of Lea and Perrins.   It still takes a surprisingly long time to be really tender, even in the pressure cooker, I had to give it a good hour in there.

Roast potatoes, the pot roast moved to the oven for the last 10 minutes, enough time to cook the red cabbage in the pressure cooker (using Catherine Phipps' fab recipe from her Pressure Cooking book)

Most excellent.




2 comments:

  1. So is this Dexter beef worth the hype?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, not sure anything is worth the hype, but this was tasty, and quite firm and brisketty if you know what I mean. Fair price (I paid £4 for a 450g small piece) considering it is raised organically, so I didn't pay hypey prices for it.

      I am not sure it had any more flavour than ordinary beef, but it had a good texture and was most enjoyable.

      Delete